The year 2014 will be seeing the 20th year of Gul Bahao’s existence in the metropolis of Karachi. The last two decades of hard work and sacrifice have catapulted this organization into the International scene with both world organizations and media giving it enviable recognition. The following include some of them:
- Italian, French and Indian newspapers and a South Korean magazine
- CNN, Voice of America, BBC, ZeeTV etc
- Clinton Foundation, Ashoka (The undersigned is a life fellow of this American organization)
- UNDP, ILO, WSCC and Supreme Court of India
- German Nationals (including their Consul General)
- Pakistanis living in the Middle East, Britain and USA
Gul Bahao made its debut in 1994 with the clear objective of finding solutions to Karachi’s waste management problems. However, it has ended up with simple and cost effective ways to revive the economy through its innovations. Hundreds of youth were given jobs through its scheme of “Kutchra do Sona lo” which is in line with the organizations scheme of “Safai/Kamai Bank” – a futuristic banking system, where the instruments of banking are assorted municipal waste. Here let me recall the immense interest shown by BBC to this “Third world solutions to first world problems.” Twenty years of work and a whopping input of eight crore rupees (in 2002 Gul Bahao’s audited accounts showed an expenditure of 1 crore and ten lac rupees) yielded the following innovations:
- Chandi Technology. A modular block which interchanges into a two storeyed house, furniture(tables,beds,sofa), water reservoir as well as tarpaulins.
- Fuel Pack for producing cheap electricity
- Gardens in the Air. Multistoried fields in the manner of multistoried buildings and many more.
For details please visit our website: http://gulbahao.org. In other words there are a host of projects that can be given to our youth to pick and choose from, where a MINIMUM OF INVESTMENT WILL YIELD MAXIMUM PROFITS. Why is this so? Simply because the raw material used is easily available, even free of cost as it is considered “useless” or waste. Here let me put on record that much of the “useless” raw material is simply leftovers, often as good as virgin material.
Gul Bahao’s Research Center on main Rashid Minhas Road has been functioning there for the last 10 years or so and has been visited by local bodies institutions, bureaucrats, professionals, businessmen, students the print and electronic media etc. It is home to most of Gul Bahao’s innovations. This can provide a platform or training ground for any ambitious scheme like “Rozgar la Mehdood”.
Now you must agree that Gul Bahao can prove an asset to any democratic government which wants to depend on its own people for running its affairs. What is required at this point is that the government, business community as well as the educational institutes must come forward and make use of this facility and support it. Let me assure you that any help in this direction will go a long way in:
- resuscitating the economy
- decreasing the energy crisis
- giving our youth and more so our educated youth unlimited opportunities
On this occasion, when Gul Bahao is trying to consolidate its work of 20 years we are planning on a publication which will be listing, displaying and explaining the various innovations developed by us. The publication which is in English ,is to be used as a reference book and will be sent to:
- businessmen and organizations
- foreign diplomats
- educational institutions and professionals
The publication called “Opportunities-unlimited” will be launched on the occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the GUL BAHAO movement to be held in the month of February at the Arts Council. We would like you to sponsor an A-4 size book according to the following rates:
- Half page – Rs. 50,000 (Fifty thousand)
- Quarter page – RS. 30,000 (Thirty thousand)
- Your name in the list of sponsors – Rs.5,000 (Five thousand)
Money for the sponsorship may be paid in advance. Let me assure you that sponsorship of this program will go a long way in improving the socio-economic conditions of Karachi. What is more, it will also enable us to be a part of the world movement for a better Environment and betterment of mankind as a whole. Waiting for a quick reply.
Nargis Latif (Managing trustee Gul Bahao)