KARACHI MAKES HISTORY!
The 29th and 30th NOVEMBER are invariably among the best days of Karachi-balmy,(nights can be quite chilly though) cloudless weather,ideal for any outdoor exhibition.In this case “Karachi’s gift to the World” a Mega Event jointly put up by Gul Bahao and the Commissioner-ate Karachi at the Karachi Press Club. The “Gift” in this case was the Chandi technology, the latest addition to the world of innovation. Gul Bahao has been presenting its Chandi Technology in different parts of the Country so what was new about this exhibition?. Given the fact that the world is being increasingly filled with all kinds of breathtaking ,exotic, innovations does the Chandi Technology stand a chance?The Chandi Technology has seldom failed to impress the onlookers by its captivating looks but this time the onus of assessing it and publicising it lay squarely on the journalists associated with the Karachi Press Club.The people of Karachi were on the streets campaigning for who would rule them for the next several years. In this scenario Gul Bahao a small NGO was vying for attention for what it claims is a major breakthrough!
The venue was the parking lot of the Karachi Press club which was filled with cars and motorcycles which would only be cleared after midnight to allow the exhibition to be put up. Journalists (although few in number) who had been keeping track of Gul Bahao’s performance for the last several years helped to raise the morale of the workers and the organizers throughout the two days. Some even went to the extent of criticizing fellow journalists and the general public for not paying due attention to this “great venture”. Nargis Latif the organizer of the event related the kindness of a certain journalist working for a well known T.V channel. At the unearthly hour of 3 in the morning when Gul Bahaos workers were shifting 100 kgs weighing columns this journalist offered his services for any kind of help. The workers were longing for a cup of hot tea in the chilly night. Despite the fact that shops were closed at that time the journalist managed to get piping hot tea for the workers.
The exhibition was to start at 10 a.m Sunday morning.A number of stalls sponsored by ABAD, WWF and a few others had to be put up.A hall 15ft x 23ft as well as a water reservoir 15ft x 35ft, a room 10ft x 12ft while the number of workers was only 6! It is true that sets for film shooting are put up in just a matter of minutes.But these exhibits were meant to be real live ones,not make believe! By ten o’clock the exhibition was not ready. Luckily, it was Sunday and Karachites were used to getting up late in the day so that,by the time people started trickling in, the exhibition was on.
The staff of the Commissioner-ate Karachi,the co host of the program had worked hard to bring the people of Karachi to the Press Club.Newspapers and T.V tickers kept exhorting people to come and see”how useful things were being made from garbage. Clearly many who came to the event were those who were motivated about the cause of the environment. One of the visitors was the headmistress of a government school who said she simply had to meet the people “who are struggling for a clean environment.”
The Commissioner Karachi Mr.Shoaib Siddiqui and the Chairman ABAD Mr.Hanif Gohar came in person to lend their support for the cause. A number of TV channels and reporters were interviewing the organizers. Speaking to the media Nargis Latif the CEO of Gul Bahao said that the Gul Bahao movement had clearly entered a new phase that of “innovation,bringing in a whole new technology which will change the world in the same way that the mobile phone has changed the world.” Dilating on the success of the “Chandi Technology”, Nargis Latif revealed that she had never in her “wildest dreams” imagined that her inter convertible modular blocks would cater to so many human needs, from houses to water reservoir to furniture and you name it.
It was past sunset, the closing time for the exhibition. Even the organizers had left except for two workers who were resting in the carpeted room on the comfortable bed that was part of the Chandi Technology. All at once the spot light of the Karachi Press Club was turned on. One could only gasp at the enchanting beauty of the scene. Any journalist belonging to the club who had seen the parking lot cluttered with all kinds of vehicles would have surely wondered at its transformation.It was as though a fairy had waved her wand and hey presto everything had changed!. If any worker of Gul Bahao were to be asked for an explanation of the phenomenon he would have surely replied. “This is the working of the almighty. It is an answer to our prayers.”
Gul Bahao is planning a mega event at the Karachi Press Club in the month of November which will be showcasing the various innovations developed by us. These are briefly:
- Chandi Technology – modular blocks which are inter convertible into a two storied house, light weight furniture (tables, chairs, beds etc ), water pond, reservoirs etc.
- Fuel packs for producing cheap electricity
- Safai/Kamai bank (a futuristic bank)
- Instant Compost…….. and many more
These innovations have received international recognition from the following:
- Italian, French , Indian and South Korean publications
- CNN,Voice of America,BBC, Zee t.v etc
- Clinton foundation, Ashoka Foundation
- UNDP, ILO,WSCC, Supreme court of India
- German nationals (including their consul general)
- Representative of United Nations ( Mr. Kingsley )
- Saarc conference held at Kathmandu in 2013
- Energy Globe Award……….and many more
Why are the innovations a “Gift from Karachi to the World”?. It may be remembered that Karachi is:
- One of the largest metropolises of the world
- It has a peculiar geography (desert like conditions with a relatively moderate climate)
- It is highly urbanized and modernized. These very conditions gave rise to the unique discoveries mentioned above
- Hundreds of educated Karachites (lecturers, professors, professionals like architects, engineers, business men, philanthropists etc) have donated in cash or kind (recyclable material which fetch a good price in the market ). Research demands money and this is where the finances came from. Secondly Karachi’s youth, especially its uneducated youth were responsible for: The physical development of the products including collection of the raw materials. The educated youth on the other hand may be credited for arranging seminars, writing theses, reports and media coverage. In short it has been a big movement spread over a period of 21 years and costing more than 8 crore rupees.
On the occasion we also plan to launch a book “Karachis Gift to the World”. The purpose of the book is manifold. To work on:
- Waste management and conserving the environment in order to prevent extreme climatic conditions of temperatures as well as rainfall, flooding etc.
- Disaster management
- To provide our youth and entrepreneurs with “Opportunities Unlimited” to make profits from minimum investment.
We would like you to consider sponsoring KARACHI’S GIFT TO THE WORLD an extremely valuable book according to the following rates:
- Full page – Rs.50,000 (fifty thousand)
- Half page – Rs.30,000(thirty thousand)
- Your organisations/institution’s name in the list of sponsors- Rs. 7,000 (seven thousand)
Your banners will also be displayed on the occasion. The event is expected to be attended by a large cross section of Karachi’s civil society including students, professionals, businessmen etc.
Waiting for an early reply,
Nargis Latif (managing trustee)